Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Free in Christ

Do you ever despair at the sin in your life? If you've been born again in Jesus Christ take courage, because you've been made new and are no longer enslaved by sin.

We no longer need to fear God's wrath since Jesus has completely fulfilled the righteous requirements of the law. Now the Holy Spirit who knows our hearts, as well as all of our mixed motives and competing desires, perfectly intercedes for us in the midst of our weaknesses. He is constantly in the process of working everything in our lives according to His good purposes.

Even though we may feel unlovely, God loves us because of His Son and nothing will separate us from His love - no circumstance, no person and not even our own feeble failings. It is precisely because of the freedom that we now have in Christ and the great love that He has poured out on us that we can take courage knowing that He is for us and we are more than conquerors through Him. (read all of Romans 8 to get the full story)

Free in Christ

So often in my life
I’m tempted to despair
I see the sin in my heart
And the wickedness in there

I can feel like I’m unworthy
Unfit to bear His name
Like I am not His child
Weighed down by all my shame

But then I remember
That the source of my faith
Does not lie within me
But in His amazing grace

Jesus saved me from myself
And all my wickedness
He rescued me from God’s wrath
And gave me His righteousness

Now I am forgiven
I No longer stand condemned
I’ve been cleansed in His blood
Washed clean and free from my sin

So now I am worthy
Because I bear His name
I am His chosen child
He has taken all my blame

Now I’m free in Christ
My hope in Him secure
I’m free to live for Him
My inheritance is sure

Copyright Matthew Rawlings, March 27, 2009