Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Verses to make you hungry...

Below are some verses from the Bible to encourage your thirst for His Word. I pray that you will be motivated by a desire to taste of His good grace and enjoy Him as you read His Word.

Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.

Job 23:12 I have not departed from the commandment of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Jeremiah 15:16 Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts.

Psalm 119:18-20 Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. 19 I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me! 20 My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.

Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life.

Psalm 119:64-65
The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes! 65 You have dealt well with your servant, O LORD, according to your word.

Psalm 119:92 If your law had not been my delight, I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget your precepts, for by them you have given me life. 94 I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts. 95 The wicked lie in wait to destroy me, but I consider your testimonies. 96 I have seen a limit to all perfection, but your commandment is exceedingly broad. 97 Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:97 Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psalm 119:103-107 How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! 104 Through your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. 105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. 106 I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to keep your righteous rules. 107 I am severely afflicted; give me life, O LORD, according to your word!

Psalm 119:105 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalm 119:111-114 Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. 112 I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end. 113 I hate the double-minded, but I love your law. 114 You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your word.

Psalm 119:123-125 123 My eyes long for your salvation and for the fulfillment of your righteous promise. 124 Deal with your servant according to your steadfast love, and teach me your statutes. 125 I am your servant; give me understanding, that I may know your testimonies!

Psalm 119:127-131 Therefore I love your commandments above gold, above fine gold. 128 Therefore I consider all your precepts to be right; I hate every false way. 129 Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them. 130 The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. 131 I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments.

All of the verses quoted above are taken from the ESV Bible. You can find the ESV Study Bible online here